Friday, March 03, 2006

David Thompson, the MAC, and the Elk Cafe


The Elk Cafe in historic Browne's Addition.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.


Interior of the Elk Cafe.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses.

I visited the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture in Browne's Addition, Spokane. I've been working with the museum to complete a kind of internship in Plateau Salish curriculum. I'm very excited about the project as a possible creative outlet for my limited cultural knowledge.

After I set up my work space at the museum, I took a few minutes to visit some of the current exhibits. I was especially impressed with the David Thompson exhibit, which featured an authentic birch bark canoe, handwritten journal entries from his exploration of the Pacific Northwest, portraits of Native people he met along the way, and taxidermied samples of animals he observed. I felt a spirit in that place, perhaps something from the people he encountered who would have been forgotten to history if he hadn't written about them.

During the lunch hour, I walked from the museum to the Elk Cafe. I really wish Rhonda could have joined me for lunch. The Elk Cafe is a wonderful little place to eat. It has such a cozy, friendly atmosphere; it's just someplace I love to go.

No comments: