Saturday, February 25, 2006

Eagle Spirit


Eagle Statue on Dishman and Appleway.
Copyright © 2006 Barry G. Moses
Ever since I received an eagle knife during the dance, I've been meditating on the possible meanings behind that animal. I've been seeing eagles all over the place; for example, I saw some real eagles flying over the highway near Colville, others depicted in art, and still others formed from patterns on the rocks in the sweat fire, or the bark of a tree, like some people report apparitions of the Virgin Mary. What can it mean?

I saw this eagle on the corner of Dishman and Appleway. I was in the valley yesterday afternoon to meet our former foster son, but his new family must have forgotten our appointment. We waited for more than an hour before I finally left. I was feeling kind of sad, but I felt suddenly impressed to drive a different route, and then I saw this eagle. I know it must seem overly simplistic or trite to find meaning in the chance meeting of a statue on the road, but seeing that eagle cheered me up considerably. It made me feel like someone was still watching out for us, even in the midst of sadness.

No comments: