Sunday, December 04, 2005

Camp P.E.A.C.E.

Camp P.E.A.C.E. met for a third time this weekend, with two high schools participating, Ferris in Spokane, and Cusick. According to the website, "the name 'Camp P.E.A.C.E.' means 'People Everywhere Are Created Equal' and was chosen in 1990 by the first student graduates of the program. Camp P.E.A.C.E. educates youth to value and respect all persons, regardless of perceived differences such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, and religion. Students learn how to practice dialogue and cooperation, as positive alternatives to isolation, stereotyping and violence, the norm for dealing with those whom the dominant U.S. society views as different."

I was asked to co-facilitate the sessions and help bring participants to a deep, emotional and spiritual place where they can most effectively explore issues related to bias. This was a dream come true for me. Ever since I participated in Spectrum years ago, I have wanted to facilitate emotional process work on this level. Thankfully, both students and their mentors were very responsive to the way I directed the group. It was very satisfying for me to contribute to spiritual work in this way.

At the end of the camp, all the students made a promise to stand as Peacemakers in the world. During that ceremony, I invited the students to walk that road with me, and I reaffirmed my own commitment to making peace in the world.

http://www.camppeace.org/

No comments: