Friday, May 13, 2005

The Beginning of Wisdom

According to my custom, I drove to Wellpinit to sweat with my uncle Pat Moses. I stopped several times along the way and took pictures of the scenery.

During the sweat lodge ceremony, I felt deeply moved by the mystery of life. I reflected on the changing circumstances of life, and was reminded of another tradition when the Buddha said: "People naturally fear misfortune and long for good fortune; but if the distinction is carefully studied, misfortune often turns out to be good fortune, and good fortune to be misfortune. The wise man learns to meet the changing circumstances of life with an equitable spirit, being neither elated by success nor depressed by failure," (The Teaching of Buddha, published by Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai, 1966).

This teaching has proved true in my own life. Some of my darkest experiences have given the greatest blessings.

No comments: