Saturday, September 24, 2005

Jason Riley

I received a surprise visit today from my old friend Jason Riley. He drove up to Spokane from his home in Baker City, Oregon, and stopped by to see my wife. I was in Wellpinit, so he drove to see me all the way out there. I guess it's not too far, considering the distance he already drove.

As we caught up on old times, we realized we've known each other for 22 years (man, do I feel old). Our friendship is actually kind of ironic in the way it developed. When I was in the 7th grade, I became best friends with his brother Jack when we were transfered into the same home room on the same day. A few months later, our homeroom teacher had surgery, and Jack's mom was the long-term sub. Jack and I became good friends, and I'm sad to say Jason was the "pesky little brother" (4 years younger, to be exact).

In time, Jack and I kind of grew apart, and I didn't see any of the Riley family for some time. Then Jason showed up on our doorstep, looking for a place to stay while he tried to straighten his life out. He only stayed a couple days, but ever since then, he calls or visits about once every year or so.

So I say it's quite ironic that I never speak to my old best friend, but after 22 years, I'm still friends with his little brother.

No comments: