Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Dragon Boat Race

This morning I attended the first ever Dragon Boat Race on the Spokane River, held in connection with the 2005 Sister Cities International Conference. My brother and sister-in-law, Paul and Angie Merchant, participated in the race and asked me to photograph the proceedings. The Vice-Mayor of Jilin City, China, one of Spokane's four sister cities, opened the event with a traditional Chinese ceremony where he painted open the eyes of the dragon. It was a fascnating event.

Congratulations to Paul and Angie who placed second in their division and received medals. Also, I offer them a special thanks for letting me know about this unique event. Without them, I would never know about any cultural doings in this town!

For more information about Spokane's sister cities, click the link below:

http://www.spokanesistercities.org

No comments: