Monday, August 01, 2005

My son's dream...

So we're sitting at lunch today and my 10 year old son Dakota asks, "Dad, what kind of building has a round part on the top and a flag?"

"Why do you ask?"

"I had a dream last night," he says, "about a white building with a round part on top and a flag, and these men in a helicopter were throwing bombs at the building, and there were also these red lines in the air going toward the building."

"Can you draw me a picture?" I asked.

"Yes," he said, and so we went home and he drew the picture you see above. Of course, the images in the drawing made me sit up and take notice. Is it a premonition, a foretelling of things yet to come? Or maybe it's just a child's way of dealing with the threat of terror. Whatever the case, I think it's a stirring commentary for our age when the horrid events of our times play themselves out in the dreams of a child.

No comments: