Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Remember to Serve

"Be of service. Whether you make yourself available to a friend or co-worker, or you make time every month to do volunteer work, there is nothing that harvests more of a feeling of empowerment than being of service to someone in need." ~Gillian Anderson.

Today I received two interesting opportunities to serve:

First, I offered myself as a human 'guinea pig' at Inland Massage Institute for students taking their practical exams. All I had to do was lay on the table and allow the students demonstrate massage strokes for the instructor. Obviously, I received my own benefit out of the deal, but it was nice to help out in such an unusual way.

Later in the day I delivered a subpoena for a friend. He got a traffic ticket more than a year ago and has contested it in court all this time. Now he wishes to bring the matter to court again and subpoena the issuing officer. For whatever bizarre reasons known only to judges and lawyers, he was not able to deliver his own subpoena and required an unbiased third party to serve the document: me.

Neither act of service was very noteworthy. They were insignificant, and yet instructive of the value of just helping out. I think I actually received the greatest benefit out of the deal: a reminder to step outside my own difficulties and help a friend in need.

"A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity." ~Buddha.

No comments: