Monday, October 17, 2005

Gary and the Great Life

Several weeks ago, my old friend Gary Harrison called me out of the clear blue sky, after many years with no contact whatsoever. Gary and I have been friends for a little more than 20 years. We met when we each attended the old Spokane 11th Ward for the first time on the same day. He called to tell me he completed a training at the Great Life Foundation, very similar to Spectrum Trainings in Boise, Idaho. I completed the training in about 1998 and attempted to enroll Gary. He didn't go back then, but his life took a few painful turns in the intervening years and he longed to find something better.

After he graduated, he invited me to "return" to the training as a staffer for a Level I experience. Back when I was actively involved in Spectrum, I used to staff all the time, but I sort of fell away during the last few years, and then Spectrum went out of business.

I bought a plane ticket and flew down to Salt Lake City. The Level I "Awakenings" experience was exactly what I remember from my training, but I have to admit I was saddened to see how far my life strayed from my "word of honor" over the last few years. So much suffering and so much pain...and it didn't have to be. On the other hand, how wonderful to return to such a beautiful space created by the courage and honesty of the trainees and other staff members. It was a marvelous experience for me!

No comments: