Sunday, October 02, 2005

LDS Missionaries

LDS missionaries visited our home for the first time in more than a year; Elder Stahura of Navarre, Florida and Elder Skaggs of Ramona, California (recently transplanted to Spanish Fork, Utah).

We used to invite the missionaries into our home several times a month for dinner, but the Spokane Washington Mission changed its policy and no longer allows missionaries to simply visit member homes for the sake of visiting, even for dinner. Of course, missionaries can still visit non-members and less active members, which makes it kosher for them to visit OUR home. Some of my friends in the ward affectionately call me the “ward apostate,” so any missionary efforts to bring me back into activity would be accepted by the mission.

Not every missionary appreciates visiting our home, but these guys made themselves most welcome. They brought a spirit of kindness, laughter, and acceptance. I mostly teased Elder Stahura because he told me he was from Pensacola, Florida, but on closer examination, he admitted he was actually from Navarre, several miles away. It was just a joke, and I have to say he took it well.

Of course they shared a verse of scripture: Alma 37:35-37.

I may be the ward apostate, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for LDS missionaries.

Near the end of our discussion, I asked the missionaries if they would permit me to write about them in my personal blog. They consented, and here we are.

I asked each of them, “What testimony or words of wisdom shall I attribute to you?”

Elder Skaggs reflected briefly and stated somewhat solemnly, “Charity suffereth long.”

Elder Stahura also reflected with a serious expression on his face, but then burst into a mischievous grin, “The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.”

I reminded Elder Stahura that the whole world will be able to read his testimony once I post it on the internet. “Are you sure you don’t want me to say something more worthy or profound?” I asked.

He thought a moment longer and said, “Oh, be wise. What more can I say?”

“That’s nice,” I responded, “What’s the reference on that quote?”

“I don’t know,” he answered, “It’s in the Book of Mormon, on the right hand page, left column, on the bottom of the page…”

“Really?” I said, “So your parents are going to read this online and say to themselves, ‘Wow, we sure prepared our son well.’”

He laughed and said, “Okay, wait…I’ll find it.” He scrambled through his book for just a few seconds and then triumphantly announced the reference: Jacob 6:12.

Way to go Elder Stahura!

By the way, I looked up Jacob 6:12. True to his word, the verse is indeed on the right hand page, left column, bottom of the page.

Thanks to both of you for blessing our home.

No comments: