Saturday, October 08, 2005

Grandpa's Funeral

The Merchant Family celebrated grandpa's life today in the most beautiful funeral service I ever experienced first-hand. Prior to the public service, the family gathered to watch a biographical film of grandpa's life prepared by Paul. He did such a wonderful job. Several months ago, he filmed grandpa talking about his life, his childhood, his experiences in the Phillipines during World War II, his years as a farmer, and so much more. Near the end of the film, grandpa talked about death, and even though he refered specifically to losing his daughter Berniece a few years ago, it felt like he was talking directly to us. Hearing his voice made me weep.

During the service, Rhonda, Glenda, Steve, and I sang "How Great Thou Art."

In his will, grandpa requested someone sing "Somewhere My Love." The family asked me to do it. When I practiced the song, I could never finish without crying because "Somewhere My Love" was grandpa's love song to grandma. I prayed for hours before singing to ask for strength to sing without crying. By the grace of God, I sang more beautifully than ever before.

Grandpa received a veteran's color guard for his burial. It was very moving.

"Somewhere My Love"

Somewhere my love there will be songs to sing,
E'en though the snow covers the hope of spring.
Somewhere a hill blossoms in green and gold,
And there are dreams, all that your heart can hold.

Someday we'll meet again my love;
Someday, whenever the spring breaks through.

You'll come to me out of the long ago.
Warm as the wind, soft as the kiss of snow.
'Till then my sweet, think of my now and then.
God speed our love 'till you are mine again.

No comments: