Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Pipestone

Several weeks ago, my friend Edward made a trip to Ontario, Canada to visit his children. On the way home, he stopped in a place called Pipestone, Minnesota, which is one of the only sources of pipestone in the world. The law only permits members of a federally recognized tribe to quarry pipestone at that location, but Edward got to visiting with some men in the quarry and they gifted him with several slabs of stone. Edward brought the stone back to Wellpinit and gave a piece to my uncle Pat and a piece to me.

Last night I started cutting the stone to make a pipe. It is very soft and cuts easily with a hack saw, or even a knife.

When I was a kid, I had a dream that told me that I would get to carry three pipes in my life. As I worked the stone, I remembered this dream and felt I was engaged in a sacred work. Thank you Edward for helping my dream become reality.

No comments: