Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Return to Guatemala

It's after 12:30 in the morning (midnight) and I just came home from dinner with Rolando and Kateri...I have so much work I should be doing at the present moment, but I felt drawn to visit with Rolando at least one more time before he returns to Guatemala on Wednesday.

We spoke about spiritual things, and I have to say I felt something very tangible and real moving within my soul/body as he described the various nagual spirits of Guatemala...oh, they are so closely related to the sumesh of the Salish speaking people of this area; guardian spirits would probably be the closest term in English. He felt to me like a kindred spirit, pulling me back toward my spiritual connections among the Maya. I feel like I left so much work undone when I traveled to Guatemala between 1991 and 1993; I thought I had so much to teach them, when in reality I had so much to learn.

When I lived in Guatemala, several indigenous elders dreamed me before my arrival; one of them even knew my name, though he was blind and never met me before in "ordinary reality." Those things scared me back then, but I wish I could return and experience their spiritual wisdom with new eyes.

Perhaps someday soon the doors will open for my return to the Maya of Guatemala.

No comments: