Thursday, November 03, 2005

Guest Lecture at Whitworth College

Carol Hollar at Whitworth College asked me to present some of my personal and professional experiences during a multi-cultural education class she teaches. Her students are undergrads, studying to become public school teachers. She asked me to talk about my experiences as a Native American, and as a former teacher at the Medicine Wheel Academy.

Mostly, I spoke about my experience with my father; how he rejected his culture in the beginning, but found spiritual renewal when I was about 13 years old. I talked about how he taught me his culture and spirituality from that time until his death in 1994.

I've thought a lot about what advice to give future teachers as they prepare to enter the classroom. It would be impossible to master every culture, but they can adopt an attitude of humilty. I invited them to always remain humble in the face of adversity and to always look inward when confronting assumptions about others.

No comments: