Thursday, November 03, 2005

Stations of the Cross

I went back to Holy Cross Cemetery to photograph the statues associated with the Stations of the Cross. During certain times and seasons of the year, Catholics pray at each station in remembrance of the Passion of Christ. I started at the beginning and photographed each station in order. Many Catholic traditions have a way of inspiring mourning and grief, and this was no exception. While I could never hope to seriously compare myself to the only Son of God, I found myself relating to Jesus as he received his cross and stumbled along the path. Life sometimes presents difficult lessons, and even though we pray for deliverance, many times the only way out of a difficult situation is to pass right through the middle pain. After pausing at the final station, I definitely felt more in touch with MY individual pain, but then again, I suppose that is the intent of this ritual after all.

No comments: